I’m taking this challenge for the first time. The basic idea is to mimic a pre-designed kit with supplies you have on hand already. I’ve known about this website for a while. I’ve popped in on occasion to other bloggers’ adventures with their kits. Yet this is the first time I have jumped in. Check out my YouTube episode on how I am beginning my own foray into counterfeiting.
I’ve got a new YouTube video up showing the process I went through to create my own SVG cut file. Because I don’t own illustrator, I used an open-source graphics program called Inkscape. You can watch my adventure on my latest YouTube episode.
I ran into a few troubles with this process. I have basic graphics skills so that part was no problem. The challenges came when trying to understand the software itself and how svg files translate into machine-specific cutting software. To begin, the graphics software on my mac was a bit buggy and caused significant user frustration. Plus, it was not very intuitive. I decided to watch a two-hour long tutorial before I could get a hang of the controls.
Once I had those controls problems figured out the actual image creation went smoothly. It was just a matter of welding together some rectangle and text shapes. Voila, lovely graphic simply saved as an svg file type instead of an jpg file type.
How it behaved in the Cricut cutting software and the Silhouette cutting software was yet another story. Find out in my video how it all played out.
If you would like to have this svg file for your use, please visit my freebies page. The video will give you tips on how to make this cut file work if you are using Cricut or Silhouette cutting machines. If you have another cutting machine you’ll have to experiment on how to get it to work in your software.
I’ve been using a Carpe Diem (A5 size) planner for a little over a year. I have not fallen in love with it.
I tried first to use it as a calendar planner, but I really prefer Google’s calendars where I can sync with and coordinate with my family’s calendars also.
I tried using it as a personal journal. I found the pressure to keep up with decorating it counterproductive to the emotional release journaling provides.
But I like the physical binder. I want to use it. So now I have repurposed it as my YouTube project binder. I’d been keeping lists of projects in a note taking app and that was actually not working well for me. Cross referencing projects with my calendar was annoying. Keeping one long list of to-do items wasn’t convenient for moving items around. And my individual check list for each video just took up too much note space. Yes I realize I may need a different digital solution but… why not try a physical product I already own first.
That being said, I was lacking a reproducible to-do checklist for my binder. So I made one. You can check out my YouTube video coming soon that includes this item (among others). I’ve made this checklist generic and am offering it for you to download if you are looking for something like this. I’ve got the Excel version and a .pdf version as well.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THIS FILE
- Set all page margins to 0.75 inches.
- If you are using the XLS file, print “Sheet 1” only… as many copies as you like.
- If you are using the PDF file, print as many copies as you’d like.
- Trim the 8 1/2 inch width down to 8 5/16 inches.
- Turn sideway and cut sheet in half at 5 1/5 inches.
- Hole punch according to We R Memory Keepers Carpe Diem A5 size.
I’m back after my 2 week break with a new video for you. This one is for my non-crafty friends. I just wanted to prove that they too can be crafty and they probably don’t even need to buy anything special do it with either! If you have friends who think they can’t be crafty or think it is too expensive, then show them this video!
Hey everyone. I’m happy to report that I finally got to making my second video. I was waiting for a data cable to arrive in the mail so I could switch to using my regular video camera instead of the video feature on my still camera. I was hoping the quality would be better. It is a little better but I am still having some trouble with the auto-focus. I’m going to have to play with it some more.
So here is my fun video presenting how I made these sweet cupcakes from a previous post.
I’m so excited. My hubby helped me get his unused copy of iMovie over to my computer and I figured out (FINALLY) how to edit my video. So I have an intro, with music by said fabulous hubby, my video and a lovely ending with more music. Wowza. I feel great having figured all of this out (with some help). Now the video quality isn’t great, but this is my first try so cut me some slack people 🙂 Hope you enjoy!
BTW, I refer to the project I made in the video that has a mushroom on it. You can see the project here.